Monday, November 15, 2010

Statia Days!

Monday.....day 6 of Statia Days. A great weekend was had by all! With a relatively low key birthday night for me we made use of the great weather and decided to attend the Friday night festivities in town. We had a plan to meet up with Clair and celebrate our birthdays together. The interns decided to head to town a bit earlier to eat and the volunteers stayed back, cooked some grub, and played some cards at the Garden. I would have to say the hobby of playing cards does not translate around the world! Although Heather is quite the competitor when it comes to games! Joe & Jean both play cribbage and I have no successfully taught the game to Ella. We have a notebook page posted in the pavillion that we use to keep track of all the games of cribbage we play! Anywho.....back to Friday. Me and my fellow volunteers headed into town and met up with the interns at Frankie's. First time at Frankie's. Great little bar with apparently some of the best food on the island. I cannot accurately critique his food as I only had a plate of fries....good fries, but I'll have to head back another time to test out the rest of the menu. This is where I met Elvis. Yes, that is correct....I said Elvis. Jim Bishop, an Elvis impersonator from Canada, was there to perform! You can't make this stuff up! I had about a half hour conversation with him. But more on The King later. We all settled up our bill and headed down to center stage. There is a performance type stage in the center of town where all kinds of performances/activites take place. Tonight it just so happened to be a group of singers from Statia.....doing 80's music! It was quite surreal I'll tell ya that! But what a fun time. The Statian people LOVE to dance....especially the kids! It was a lot of fun to watch everyone. Notice I say watch.....The Murph did not take the dance floor. Definitely a good decision on my part. We met quite a few interesting people and made our way back home when the night ended. Saturday was beach and blue bead searching day. If you have not read up on blue beads I suggest you do. Quite fascinating and it is quite the find for one to locate one here! We successfully killed most of the day and some got their fair share of sun! Now it was time...........for Elvis! We an early trip down to The Fruit Tree bar and restaurant, we were now ready for the show. And about 23 minutes later is was over. haha Apparently he was not the main attraction Saturday night! But it was a blast to see Elvis in, of all places, Statia! The rest of the night was followed with short skits, dance performances, and many, many laughs. A small section of road (much like what happens at local street dances back home) was set aside for the night. I bet there were 10 food stands! A great way to spend a Saturday night! Sunday seemed to fly by and along came Monday. Maintenance on the Garden in the morning and typing to you guys in the afternoon. Tonight Statia Days continue with a couple bands at Smoke Alley. We all have an appointment with Elvis tonight. He made a stop out to the Garden yesterday and we said we would treat him to a fine Statian meal if he met us out tonight. Should be fun! If you haven't noticed.....Statia Days is quite entertaining! Until next time America....

No comments:

Post a Comment