The Statia Conservation Project is a volunteer opportunity offered by WorkingAbroad on behalf of STENAPA....The St. Eustatius National Parks Foundation. More information on St. Eustatius, the program, and the park can be found at statiapark.org, workingabroad.com, and statiatourism.com
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Christmas in Statia!
Greetings everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and is getting all prepared for the big New Year's Eve festivities! Like Thanksgiving, Christmas was quite a different experience here. No snow and warm sunny weather are two things I'm usually not accustomed to during Christmas in Minnesota. But we all had a wonderful time over the weekend. I'll have to say though, not being able to sit down and eat obscene amounts of lutefisk was quite a disappointment. I mean, how do people celebrate Christmas meals without the joy of the amazing lutefisk? I mean the smell alone is reason enough to be merry. But anyways....I managed to cope without it this year. I'm sure my share was picked up by either Wayne, Jerome or Mark. No question there. Our Statia Christmas began Friday when we all decided to treat ourselves to a great island meal at The Blue Bead Restaurant, arguably Statia's finest in dining. I'm convinced Zagat's would give it top rating. While Ella, Kyle, and Ana all decided on burgers, I went with the pepperoni pizza option. Delicious thin crust style, hand made pizza that could possibly be one of the best pizzas I've ever had. We had a very nice evening and made our way home to the Garden. I had decided earlier that day to purchase some cell phone minutes and was able to call back "home" and talk to the relatives that evening. Sounded like they as well were having a great Christmas Eve. And finally Sunday came, and with that, the highly anticipated Christmas lasagna! This is a family tradion for Ana and her family and we all were excited to partake. And partake we did! It was delicious and we spent the early evening eating vegetarian and meat lasagna, garlic bread, and salad. All topped off with a bottle of wine. A perfect way to end our first, and more than likely, our last Christmas on Statia! Our Christmas vacation did not end there though. We had Sunday and Monday off as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier or not, but we welcomed in a new intern to the STENAPA team last week. Kyle....from Philly. Big sports fan and obviously has a vested interest in the Eagles this season. And wouldn't ya know....Eagles vs. Vikings on Sunday night football! There are few tvs in Statia but there happens to be one at our favorite Chinese restaurant and Kyle, Ana, and I made our way out on the town Sunday night to watch a little NFL. And....what the heck?! Postponed?! You've got to be kidding me!! Those wimps in Philly. Well our night was cut short Sunday and two days later we found ourselves right back in front of the tv at Largo Heights (the Chinese restaurant). And to both Kyle and my surprise....Vikes win! Great game and with the help of a few fried chicken wontons, we had a great evening. Wednesday was the most miserable day we've had on the island since I've been here. It rained off on on all day and was windy and cool. Ya, ya....I'm sure you all feel sorry for us! I'm sure hoping this doesn't last! Well....better get going. Big New Year's holiday weekend coming up! We'll have to see what Statia has in store for us! Hope you all have a wonderful time and until next time America.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment